Aces Up by Lauren Barnholdt – I wasn’t really a fan of this. I’ve liked half of Barnholdt’s books so far… I liked Two Way Street and One Night That Changes Everything, but didn’t like Aces Up and Reality Chick/Watch Me. Shannon wasn’t very likable to me. For someone who was supposed to be really smart, she seemed really ditsy and stupid. I didn’t understand the appeal of Cole either.
X-Isle by Steve Augarde – I had read some reviews of this book on Goodreads and they weren’t super inspiring, but I ended up really liking this book! It was dystopian and I am a dystopian junkie. I liked that it was set in the near future and there wasn’t any science fiction involved. Everything that happened could have happened in our world. I really liked Baz and all of the boys on the island. Ray was a conundrum at times, but understandable in the end. The middle of the book was a little long, but not terribly so. One thing that made me laugh was that people on Goodreads were complaining about the Fart Club, saying it was preteen boy humor. Eh, maybe, but it had a point that made perfect sense.
Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, Bk 6) by Richelle Mead – This was so good! I will miss this series. I’ve always loved Rose and she didn’t disappoint in this book. I don’t really want to say anything spoilery, but I thought this book had a great storyline, loads of action, and the right amount of emotion. :)
Annexed by Sharon Dogar – This was okay. It was kind of slow and sometimes the characters were unlikeable. Anne especially was really frustrating at the beginning. The writing felt pretty stilted sometimes and the dialogue didn’t really flow naturally.
In My Mailbox
- Last Sacrifice (Vampire Academy, Bk 6) by Richelle Mead (Amazon)
- Dash and Lily’s Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan (Santa Jacki)
- Zombies vs Unicorns by Holly Black et al (Santa Jacki)
- Purple Heart by Patricia McCormick (PBS FIFO)
- Half Upon a Time by James Riley (PBS FIFO)
- The Treasure Map of Boys: Noel, Jackson, Finn, Hutch, Gideon – and me, Ruby Oliver (Ruby Oliver, Bk 3) by E. Lockhart (PBS FIFO)
- When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
- Paper Towns by John Green
- Aces Up by Lauren Barnholdt